Thursday, March 25, 2010

Good Luck Chuck?

Today Charles Barkley and the rest of the TNT crew will be at the United Center to provid the play by play analysis of the Miami Heat and Chicago Bulls game. Earlier this season, Sir Charles compared the Miami Heat to the Jackson 5 saying Wade was Michael Jackson and the supporting cast was just a bunch of Tito's. This caught the attention of Udonis Haslem and Michael Beasley who spoke up after a couple of victories when Dwyane was injured.

"I'm mad,'' Beasley said. "I feel like I'm not getting that respect. I'm not saying I've won a championship or I'm scoring 40 a night. It's just disrespect, to us as a team. I read daily how Dwyane Wade needs help and how he has no talent on his team. I strongly disagree. I'm trying to show not only my team but the league I can be relied on day in and day out.''Udonis also said something about Charles remembering their names now and then the Heat went on to go on a prolongued slump which helped drop them all the way to number 9 in the standings. The lesson learned seems to be to just stay quiet and do your job and allow your play to do the talking.

Today, the nation will be watching and 2008's #2 draft pick will have a great opportunity to prove himself in front of one of his loudest critics while playing opposite that drafts #1 pick Derrick Rose. Michael is no longer mentioned in the same breath with Derrick, but as the guy that was picked ahead of OJ Mayo, Russell Westbrook and Brook Lopez (guys that Pat Riley was tempted to draft).

While those guys have proven worthy of being picked #2 overall, I think Mike should be offended and take advantage of this opportunity to shut the critics up. A look at Derrick Rose's All-Star numbers vesus Michael's "Tito" numbers show the gap to be a bit overstated.

Derrick Rose
20.5 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 5.8 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.3 bpg, 2.8 to in 36 mpg

Michael Beasley
15.1 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.6 bpg, 1.6 to in 30 mpg

Raise your hand if you knew Mike averaged more steals per game than the mighty Derrick Rose? That statistic actually shocked me. I love Rose's points, rebounds and assists numbers and think he is an impressive player. I actually was one of the first to get on the Rose bandwagon back when Michael was the favorite for the #1 pick (prior to the NCAA tournament), but take a look at what Mike's numbers would be if adjusted to 36 mpg (20% increase in playing time):

18.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.2 spg, o.7 bpg, 1.9 to

These numbers seem to suggest that Michael is more Jermaine than Tito, can he prove it to the world starting today? Maybe Charles Barkley's presence courtside will provide extra motivation and be some sort of good luck charm for a player that sometimes seems to lack focus.

5 comments:

  1. Its funny how as soon as Arroyo takes the starting spot and JO gets involved more the Heat have gotten a lot better. Guess doing that from the beginning would have been too easy right Spo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big words from Beasley about his frustrations in Miami, not being allowed to play "freely". Is he finally saying "Go ahead and trade me, please"?

    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/26/1548026/beasley-wonders-what-if-he-were.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. He regrets being drafted by Miami. Its a terrible place to be for a talented player.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If I really wanted to," James said, "if I really wanted to be the scoring [champion] every single year -- every single year -- I could really do it. But it doesn't matter."

    Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that too... very immature in his maturity that one. Scratching my head at his need to say every single year twice... kind of thing Shaq would say... hmmm.

    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-alade-aminu-s032610,0,5592566.story

    Alade Aminu is back on a 10 day contract... he is the older brother of Al-Farouq Aminu, a projected 2010 lottery pick. Kenny Hasbrouck is now on his second 10 day contract... and the Heat will field a summer league team again after their failed experiment this summer of having Spoelstra work with the youngsters on fundementals instead.

    ReplyDelete